WHO chief calls for increased funding for COVID-19 project

MOSCOW, March 13 – RIA Novosti. The global project under the auspices of the World Health Organization (WHO) to fight the coronavirus ACT-Accelerator needs $ 22.1 billion in funding, said WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

He said on Friday the organization published a new strategy and budget for the said project for 2021. “At the moment, ACT-Accelerator has allocated $ 11 billion, but we still face a funding gap of $ 22.1 billion … We urge countries fully finance the ACT-Accelerator as the best investment in global recovery, “the head of WHO said at a briefing.

According to him, the longer the funding gap remains illiquid, “the harder it is to understand.” He noted that this amount is only a small fraction of more than $ 13 trillion. That amount, according to the IMF, has so far been spent by high-income countries on fiscal stimulus.

The CEO said the emergence of new coronavirus variants, limited vaccine supplies, a lag in the introduction of new diagnostics and oxygen, and a lack of funding to support the proliferation of these COVID-19 countermeasures are a major concern.

The ACT Accelerator International Partnership was launched on 24 April 2020 by WHO, the EU, France and philanthropists Bill and Melinda Gates. As explained in the WHO, this is a “global partnership and collaboration to accelerate the development, production and use of safe and effective technologies to prevent, diagnose and treat the new coronavirus infection.”

Author: wedocount

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *