MOSCOW, February 22 – RIA Novosti. Russia positively assesses the decision of the American authorities to expel the former guard of the Nazi concentration camp in Neuengamme, 95-year-old Friedrich Karl Berger, to Germany, the US embassy said in a statement.
“We welcome the US actions aimed at finding Nazi criminals. The decision in the Berger case shows that the atrocities of Hitler's executioners and their accomplices have no statute of limitations,” the Russian diplomatic mission said in a statement on Twitter.
The diplomats noted that the decision to deport Berger is even more significant on the 75th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials.
Earlier it became known that the United States expelled the former Nazi concentration camp guard Karl Berger to Germany. The deportation decision was made last year.
According to the American justice system, Berger was a concentration camp guard near Meppen in Lower Saxony and thus was “an active participant in one of the darkest chapters in human history.”
Berger himself, who in 1959 moved to the American state of Tennessee and continued to receive a German pension for many years, did not deny his past, but tried to justify himself by saying that he was only following orders from his superiors. During the trial, he noted that at that time he was only 19 years old.
Berger was guarding the outer camp of the Neuengamme concentration camp, where, according to the US authorities, Jews, Poles, Russians, Danes, Dutch and French were kept in “terrible” conditions and worked “to exhaustion and death”.
According to the Spiegel magazine, it is not yet known whether Berger will stand trial in Germany. In December, prosecutors in Celle announced that the proceedings against Berger had been dropped for lack of evidence. 75 Years of Great Victory