MINSK, 11 Feb – RIA Novosti. In the spring, external forces will make attempts to renew the protests in Belarus, but they will not succeed, says the head of the republic's KGB Ivan Tertel. “There will be attempts (to resume protest activity in spring – ed.), But we assess the situation as stable, and there are prerequisites to say that they (external forces – ed.) will manage to achieve such goals, we do not see, “Tertel told reporters. Protests in Belarus
The situation in Belarus has stabilized, the peak of the protests has passed, their manifestations have practically disappeared, said on Thursday the head of the KGB of the republic Ivan Tertel. “We note that the situation as a whole has stabilized, the peak has passed, protest manifestations have practically disappeared. But we note at the same time, that overseas centers, which are sponsored and funded by various funds, continue to function, they are radicalized and are still trying to resume these actions that were previously. But we estimate that they will not lead to the results they are striving for. ” – Tertel told reporters.
After the presidential elections held in Belarus on August 9, 2020, in which Alexander Lukashenko won for the sixth time, who, according to the CEC, gained 80.1% of the vote, mass opposition protests began in the country, in Minsk and the regions they were associated with riots. During the dispersal of the participants in unauthorized events, the security forces used special means and special equipment. The authorities have officially confirmed the deaths of three protesters. Protest actions are still going on, law enforcement officials say about a decrease in the number of their participants and about the movement of actions from the streets to the courtyards of residential buildings. Currently, protest activity in the country is noticeably lower than six months ago.